This article was archived. Submission rules change from year to year. Please go to the home page and select Contests, Gittle List from the menu. Thank you!
Spread the word! Use #thegittlelist
Will it be your book this year?
Deadline Midnight, November 30, 2014
Print submissions must be postmarked 11/30/14 and received by December 5, 2014.
The Gittle List 2013 was a great success! The Gittle List 2014 submissions process will end earlier so the Top 10 can be marketed as a holiday gift giving guide. See What Do I Win? at the end of this post to learn the benefits of making it on The Gittle List.
Last year, I received nearly 60 digital and print books. This year, my goal is to receive at least 150 submissions. So spread the word!
Again this year there is no entry fee. However, I ask that you at least like the Aviva Gittle Publishing Facebook page and sign up for the Aviva Gittle Newsletter. Following me on Twitter, @AvivaGittle is greatly appreciated. Really show me some love and post a link to this page on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and any other social media you can think of!
Deadline (emailed or postmarked) is midnight, PST (US) November 30, 2014.
Please read the guidelines carefully. 99% of your questions will be answered here. For the other 1%, send an email to GittleSubmissions@gmail.com.
- Children’s picture books for children age 10 and under.
- The eBook or print book must be published and available for purchase.
- The book must be self-published either by you or through a publishing company you own. Meaning you wrote it, you own the rights, paid for its creation and publication and do not receive royalties from a publishing company. (Self-publishing services like CreateSpace, Book Baby, etc. are fine.)
- Not more than 1600 words. (Just the story; don’t include front / back matter in the word count.)
- Minimum of 50 words. It must be a story supported by illustrations (no coloring books, unless it is included in addition to the story book).
- At least 10 interior illustrations.
- One story; not part of a compilation.
- One entry per author or author team. (If an artist has illustrated multiple books written by authors other than themselves, that is acceptable.)
- It can be published in any year (it does not have to have a publishing date in 2014)
- Digital or print books accepted. (mobi, epub, PDF. A PDF proof copy of the print book is fine.) If the digital file is greater than 5MB, please use a service such as DropBox.com or Box.com to send it to GittleSubmissions@gmail.com. However, it is preferred that you compress or reduce the file size. Lower resolution PDFs are acceptable.
- Mail print books only if you do not have a digital copy of the book. IMPORTANT: Be sure to email GittleSubmissions so I know the book is on its way. See below for information to include in the email. PRINT BOOKS WILL NOT BE RETURNED!
- Print submissions must be postmarked by November 30, 2014 and received by December 5, 2015. Digital submissions must be received by midnight PST (US) November 30, 2014.
Whether submitting a digital or print book, be sure to send an email with the subject “Gittle List 2014” to GittleSubmissions@gmail.com. Include the following information.
- Title of book
- # of words (don’t include front / back matter in word count)
- # of interior illustrations
- Author’s name
- Optionally, name of your personal publishing company.
- Illustrator’s name
- Link to buy book (important! proves the book is published)
- Author’s email address
- Optionally, illustrator’s email address
- Link to author’s website or bio page (such as Amazon’s author page)
- Optionally, link to illustrator’s website or bio page
Aviva Gittle Publishing
3245 University Avenue #1133
San Diego, CA 92104
Spread the word about The Gittle List 2014!
What Do I Win?
- A 5-star review on Amazon and Goodreads.
- An exclusive interview on www.GoToGittle.com.
- A link to purchase your book from www.GoToGittle.com.
- Announcements on social media and press releases.
- A digital “The Gittle List Top 10” seal to use in your marketing and books.
I just found your page through a post on LinkedIn. In fact, I had just left you a comment on another subject earlier today.
I’m looking forward to publishing volumes 2-12 of our Mushroom Tales series, in the coming months (as fast as my artistic wife, Connie can create the illustrations for our character building lessons. We will select the best of the bunch for submittal. I think it may be our next book, called “Bullies – Where do they come from and how long will they stay?”
By way of introduction, instead of Illustrator and Author, we say “Mushrooms by Connie Robayo and Tales by me”.
Best of luck and we’ll keep in touch.
Look forward to participating in the contest this year…
Glad you plan to participate, Barbara! Please spread the word…my goal this year is 150 submissions.
My children’s book exceeds the 1500 word limit. Is there any other way I can promote by book with you?
Hi, Kristin: Is it a picture book? If so, how many illustrations? How many words is it (excluding font / back matter)?
sounds great! entering 🙂
Glad to hear it, Nata! Please spread the word. 🙂
In red above, it says: Deadline (emailed or postmarked) is midnight, PST (US) October 15, 2014.
Rule 11 says: Print submissions must be postmarked by September 15, 2014. Digital submissions must be received by midnight PST (US) September 15, 2014.
Can you clarify?
Do photos qualify as illustrations?
Thanks for your question!
I would say as long as it still has the look and feel of a children’s picture book, I would accept it.
I just found out about this picture book contest. I’m excited to submit my book this year. Thanks for sharing!
That’s terrific, Karen! Please spread the word; my goal is 150 direct submissions this year. 🙂
It’s a great opportunity for self published authors to participate in this contest. I am submitting my book this year. Wishing you the best in achieving your goal. Cheers!
Glad you plan to submit your book, Vasanthi. I’m trying to get 150 submissions this year, so please tweet, post, etc. about The Gittle List!
I’m submitting Yarashell Abbily and Her Very Messy Room (http://www.sybrina.com) to The Gittle List 2014: Top 10 Children’s Picture Books and will broadcast this contest all of my friends. Thanks for the opportunity. 🙂
I got your submission, Sybrina. Thanks so much for spreading the word about The Gittle List!
Just sent you mine and I’m excited about seeing what great stuff everybody comes up with this year. I really think that self-published kids’ books are getting better and better.
(even though this contest isn’t exclusive to self-publishing writers)
Thanks for hosting!
Write Kids’ Books
We’re getting some great stories so far. I’ve got about 15 submissions. Just got to get the word out! I appreciate your helping to spread the word. If it helps, it’s open to anyone in the world!
What are the publication date guidelines? One of my books was published in 2013.
Any year of publication is acceptable. (See item #9.) Hope to see your book! Please spread the word. 🙂
Oops! Totally missed that! Thank you! I also passed your info on to my Goodreads groups and my on-line writers group
No worries, Patti. 🙂 Thank you so much for spreading the word. Much appreciated!
Hi! I entered my book Shadow Night 3 days ago!
Aviva, when will your ‘decision’ be posted? I don’t see a decision date posted anywhere.
Thank you, Jean
Hi Aviva – I’m so excited about entering your contest. I tried to send the digital version my children’s story, “Three Little Gnomes and a Boy Named Orion,” but the file is too large. I will be mailing you a hard copy. Thanks so much for this lovely opportunity!! <3 Rhonda Paglia "Grammy Pags Stories" http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00G5X3WO2
WONDERFUL idea! Empowering for self-published authors. Thank you for offering this.
It truly is my pleasure, Billie. It’s a lot of work, but it’s also a lot of fun. Please spread the word! I’d like to get another 106 entries. Thanks!
I saw your announcement on a Linked In group. Thank you for announcing this – I look forward to submitting! I will also let a beautifully self-published friend know about the contest.
And I will like your Facebook page and sign up for your newsletter as you requested.
(My Facebook page is “Books for Kids,” for anyone who would like to trade “likes.”)
Thanks to my illustrator for this contest. I am entering.
This is a great opportunity to promote author’s self-published books like mine. More power.
So looking forward to receiving your book! Remember, deadline is 11/30/14. 🙂
Hi Aviva, I am so excited about this contest. I entered very early. I thought it ended in October & I keep watching:) I hope I am not forgotten since I submittes so early. What you have done is amazing. Also, this is a great way to reach other children authors & share our work. Children really need our messages. We make kids smile:)
I will be sending you my children’s picture book, Momma Days by email. I self published it through AuthorHouse. Is that an acceptable company? I think it’s great that you are promoting self published authors. This is my first book and I am very excited to share it with you!
Looking forward to participating in your contest. I am not very computer savvy but looking forward to sending you my book.
Hi, Aviva! I just email you a pdf of my new book called Button Nose the Sad Little Bear. Hope you enjoy it!
So excited to have found this contest! Submitting this afternoon!
How many entries this year?